In March of 1937, Victor C. Harnish had the idea of establishing a Boys Club in Waltham. A group of community leaders collaborated, raised funds, and on November 2, 1937 the Boys Club of Waltham was incorporated.
The Club opened on January 28, 1938 in the vacated Asbury Temple Building at 686 Main Street. Fourteen years later, a capital campaign was launched to construct a new Club building. In response, the Charles Hayden Foundation provided a substantial grant, and many individuals made generous donations. The site at 20 Exchange Street, which serves as today’s Club, was opened in November of 1952.
In 1985, the Club officially changed its name to the Waltham Boys & Girls Club, Inc. Since our founding, the Waltham Boys & Girls Club has been recognized as a community leader in providing positive programs for youth, with a special emphasis on serving disadvantaged youth.
Throughout our history, the Club has been able to expand to meet the growing needs of youth in Waltham. The Club has been recognized nationally by Boys & Girls Club of America for program excellence and membership growth. Our Main Club facility is handicapped accessible and offers inclusive programs for youths of all abilities.